Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pubs, clubs and cafes


We got to check out Hyderabad's only sports bar , 'Xtreme Sports', last Friday. They had a local live band playing some real rock music w/ good food and beer on tap. We were surrounded by expats, a few happy Taiwanese, several funny Brits, Aussies and of course Americans. Its interesting to note that the two bars I have been to in Hyderabad have had non-Indians working for them in management and PR roles. Xtreme has a young Aussie lady and FireFly (a new lounge bar) has a NewYorker and they have both brought in a refreshing global touch. The music is not as loud as other Indian pubs, here people can actually have conversations and not go deaf( and the crowd is also a lil' older :)).

In India, one doesn't find beer or wine at grocery stores or at super markets. Instead its usually only available in seedy and creepy stores called "Wine shops". I would never want to be caught or seen anywhere close to one of these 'wine shops'. Especially, as drinking is still not kosher (in Hyderabad) at typical extended family gatherings. However, the younger generation has a whole different lifestyle and doesn't fit into this stereotype.

I haven't been happy with the wine in India. Local Sula wines are the ones most readily available at restaurants, but are mediocre and relatively expensive (I paid $7.5 for a small glass). Its always safe to stick to Kingfisher beer.

Hookah bars are popular with the younger crowd. I have not been able to relate to this in any way and I cannot stand the smoke.

Regular coffee shops and bakeries are great. My favorite is Ofen (a french bakery) and I also frequent the usual Coffee day and Barista (which are comparable to Starbucks). I haven't as yet checked out the art cafe (cafe de art) which is supposed to have great ambiance and coffee.

Anyway, this landscape in India is constantly changing and I don't think I can keep up.
Cheers!!

4 comments:

Manibala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manibala said...

Certainly looks like you are keeping up for all of us...
I don't understand the whole Hukkah bit as well....and I can't stand the smell....
later...

Anonymous said...

Want to connect on http://www.linkedin.com?

--Gautam
http://fast-code.sourceforge.net/

Online Bus Booking said...

Hyderabad called the Pearl City is the capital of the state of Andhra Pradesh. Everyone have a dream to visit This city. Now TicketGoose.com offering the best discounts and deals on Online Bus Booking